The Carnegie Arts Center in Downtown Turlock, CA, is presenting the exhibition The Fine Art of Pastels in the Ferrari Gallery from March 27 – May 26, 2019.
The Fine Art of Pastels is a juried exhibition meant to highlight both the demanding technical aspects and the lively spirit inherent in this popular medium. The exhibition was juried by well-known pastel artist Terri Ford. Entries were accepted from artists living in the United States and Canada, and the 40 artists selected hail from throughout California as well as from Minnesota, Nebraska, Washington, and Alberta, Canada. 74 works were accepted for inclusion in the exhibition and represent some of the finest techniques and most exciting images being created in the pastel medium today.
Awards, including a Best of Show prize of $800, were awarded by the juror. A complete list of award winners is included below.
The Fine Art of Pastels is the Carnegie’s featured exhibition for the spring program of Discover Art school field trips. More than 1,400 elementary and middle school students will see the exhibition while it is on display in April and May; they will explore how artists use the element of color and will create a pastel artwork of their own.
HOURS AND ADMISSION: The Carnegie is open to the public Wednesday – Saturday 10 a.m. – 5 p.m., Friday 10 a.m. – 8 p.m., Sunday noon – 4 p.m.
Admission to the exhibition is $5 general admission; free to Carnegie members and children 12 and under.
BEST OF SHOW: Paivi Miettunen, La Serena, 2017
AWARDS OF EXCELLENCE:
Virginia White, Under the Knights Ferry Bridge, 2016
Jane Zich, The Way Deer Listen, 2018
AWARDS OF MERIT: Ellen Gust, Moonlit Barn, 2018
Dixie Salazar, Something Borrowed, Something Blue, 2018
HONORABLE MENTIONS: Carol David, Truckee River View, 2015
Victoria Goro-Rapoport, Shell I, 2011
Vaughn Lew, Morning Shot at June Lake, 2018
Stephanie Long, Scott’s Horse, 2016
JUROR FOR THE EXHIBITION: Terri Ford
Terri Ford, a native Californian, realized a deep connection with pastels in 1987 and has worked with them ever since, both in the studio and en plein air. Terri’s pastel paintings have gained national and international recognition. She was awarded the title Eminent Pastelist by the International Association of Pastel Societies in 2012. She is a Master Pastelist with the Pastel Society of America and a Distinguished Pastelist with the Pastel Society of the West Coast, and the Pastel Society of New Mexico.
Terri has won top awards in many exhibitions at venues that include the National Arts Club in New York, The Butler Fine Art Museum, The Triton Museum of Art, the Haggin Museum and others. Her work was featured on the cover of Pastel Journal’s April 2012 issue, as Grand Prize Winner in their Annual Pastel 100 Competition and has appeared in many other art periodicals including Fine Art Connoisseur, American Art Collector, Plein Air Magazine, French art publication Pratique des Arts, and several books. Most recently she was featured in the French publication 40 Maitres de Pasteles. Terri was the Guest of Honor for the Art du Pastel France Giverny International Pastel Exhibition in 2017. She is also a sought-after instructor both across the U.S. and abroad.
COMPLETE LIST OF ARTISTS
- Melody Allen, Minneapolis, MN
- Ginny Burdick, Coarsegold, CA
- Patricia Connolly, Fairfax, CA
- Carol David, Modesto, CA
- Cyndy Davis, Oakdale, CA
- Pat Davis, Ceres, CA
- Larry DeTomasi, Turlock, CA
- Chloe Fonda, Oakdale, CA
- Chella Gonsalves, Modesto, CA
- Victoria Goro-Rapoport, Kearney, NE
- Ellen Gust, Palo Alto, CA
- Don Hall, Turlock, CA
- Renetta Hayes, Jamestown, CA
- Charlotte Hoffman, Mariposa, CA
- Kelly Viss Hollinger, Turlock, CA
- Lorna Hunt, Sonora, CA
- Valerie Keesey, Turlock, CA
- Tamara Keiper, Waterford, CA
- Marti Knapp, Turlock, CA
- Vaughn Lew, Murphys, CA
- Dorothy Lo Bue, Turlock, CA
- Stephanie Long, Petaluma, CA
- Issa M., Turlock, CA
- Michelle Marco, Mariposa, CA
- Darlene Meissner, Shaver Lake, CA
- Paivi Miettunen, Calgary, Alberta
- Christine Obers, Mariposa, CA
- Rhett Regina Owings, Turlock, CA
- Dixie Salazar, Fresno, CA
- Elizabeth Saltos, Oakhurst, CA
- Ruben Sanchez, Merced, CA
- Tinna Savini, Turlock, CA
- Danny Schreiber, Tumwater, WA
- Benjamin Serpa, Merced, CA
- Judith Smith, Olympia, WA
- Lura Schwarz Smith, Coarsegold, CA
- Henrietta Sparkman, Modesto, CA
- Vivian Varni Patton, Groveland, CA
- Virginia White, Modesto, CA
- Jane Zich, Fairfax, CA